In principle, you can link any phone number with the WhatsApp Business API - be it a landline or a mobile number. The important thing is that the number has not been used for customer service with WhatsApp before. During the connection process your number will be verified, meaning you will receive either a verification SMS or a verification call on the number, depending on your choice. Verification is completed by WhatsApp, requiring your number to be able to receive incoming calls or SMS messages from abroad.
Using a landline number is useful for the following reasons:
- It looks more professional
- You only need to communicate one number in all of your customer communications
- The number may already be known to your customers or even stored in their phones (so customers don't have to learn a new or additional number.)
Already using the WhatsApp Business app and have an existing number?
It's possible to retain the phone number you already registered in the WhatsApp Business app. However, you'll need to delete the old account associated with the phone number before starting the registration process for the WhatsApp Business API. During the migration of your number, all incoming messages from WhatsApp servers will queue up and be delivered after the migration is successful. Existing chats cannot be imported once the number has been moved to the API and profile settings will need to be reconfigured.
You want to use a previously private WhatsApp number?
The process is the same as described above for migrating a WhatsApp Business number, i.e. you have to delete your WhatsApp account to be able to use the number for the WhatsApp Business API.
Already using the WhatsApp Business API, but through a different solution provider?
Facebook offers the ability to take numbers from one Business Solution Provider (BSP) to another. This allows for businesses to change BSPs or move their number to a new account, but only if the source and destination Facebook Business Manager IDs are the same. After being migrated, a phone number keeps its display name, quality rating, messaging limits, Official Business Account status, and any high quality message templates previously approved. Four steps are necessary for number portability:
- Fill out and submit the Number Porting Submission Form. Please contact our support if you would like to receive it.
- Accept the "Message on Behalf request" of our partner in your Facebook Business Manager. You will need admin access to the Business Manager to see and accept the request.
- You will receive a 6 digit PIN code per SMS or voice call, which you use to verify your number.
- Generate your API Key and add it to your Userlike Dashboard.